Due to current weather conditions, Provo City School District will operate on a Two Hour Late Start Schedule today. This means that school will start two hours later than normal for each school. ...
Upcoming Graduates and Parents/Guardians of Upcoming Graduates,
Please see the following information about Provo City School District’s Laude/Latin Honors System. In 2018, our district implemented a Laude/Latin Honors System to recognize students who met criteria for academic excellence. The Laude/Latin Honors System is recognized by colleges/universities and allows for more students to receive an academic distinction compared to the previous traditional honors award. As such, the Laude/Latin Honors System has replaced the traditional honors award. We are excited to award our students that have worked so diligently throughout their high school experience!
Our PowerSchool system that generates the honors score report uses Provo City School District course codes for qualifying classes. This means, students who have been in Provo City School District for their entire high school experience already have their Laude/Latin Honor score calculated. Students can contact their school counselor to identify and confirm their score.
Please Note: If you/your child is a transfer student, spent any high school experience outside of Provo City School District, or completed online courses, please follow the steps below:
- Use the Laude System Calculation Form (attached) to identify if you/your child will receive the Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Cum Laude distinction.
- Submit completed calculation form to your/your child’s assigned school counselor so they can get your child on the distinction list. All calculation forms must be submitted by Friday, April 22 at 12:00pm. We will not be able to review submitted calculations and/or change any distinctions reflected on the graduation program after this date.
Students receiving a Laude/Latin Honors distinction also receive a cord for graduation:
- Summa Cum Laude – Gold
- Magna Cum Laude – Silver
- Cum Laude – White
Please note the following:
- Calculations for courses are only based on grades up to the end of Term 3 of a student’s final high school year.
- AP courses are counted as 1.0 point per semester. Other qualifying courses count as 0.5 points per semester.
- To receive a distinction, students must have achieved at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA.
- Students must meet these point requirements to earn the distinction. Summa Cum Laude at least 64 points, Magna Cum Laude at least 41 points, and Cum Laude at least 19 points.
- If you/your child has taken an advanced standing course that is not reflected on the calculation form, please contact your/your child’s assigned school counselor to confirm if course can be counted.
Please let a school counselor know if you have any questions.
School Counselor Assignments by Last Name
- Last Names A-B: Alai Kalaniuvalu – email@example.com
- Last Names C-E: Brooklyn Cook – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last Names F-He: Terri Kerr – email@example.com
- Last Names Hi-L: Christie Lee – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last Names M-Pe: Jordan Williams – email@example.com
- Last Names Pi-Sm: Rachelle Carter – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last Names Sn-Z: Nate Warner – email@example.com
Please see the attachments for more information.