Last modified: December 7, 2018
Career Interest Inventory
Intro to Career Interest Profiles
Utah Futures has several in depth Interest Inventories, or
Choose the two descriptions below that sound the most like you. When you are finished, click the read more and follow the links to discover possible courses for your Career Interest Areas here at Timpview High School.
Realistic–Technical, “The Doers”
If I have time like to fix things or take them apart to find how they work I like working with tools and machines or plants and animals. I’m mechanically inclined and like to work with my hands. People describe me as handy, practical and active. I would enjoy a job where I could use tools to build or repair things, not sit behind a desk or be outdoors.
- Likes to work with animals, tools, or machines; generally avoids social activities like teaching, healing, and informing others;
- Has good skills in working with tools, mechanical or electrical drawings, machines, or plants and animals;
- Values practical things you can see, touch, and use like plants and animals, tools, equipment, or machines; and
- Sees self as practical, mechanical, and realistic.
Courses for “The Doer”
Investigative– STEM, “The Thinkers”
I like to study—it might be math or a science. Learning and understanding are a priority for me. I might enjoy knowing how the body works. People might describe me as intellectual or innovative. I would enjoy a job that challenges me mentally.
- Likes to study and solve math or science problems; generally avoids leading, selling, or persuading people
- Is good at understanding and solving science and math problems;
- Values science; and
- Sees self as precise, scientific, and intellectual.
Courses for “The Thinker”
Artistic, Arts and Communications, “The Creators”
I like to do creative activities such as art, drama, crafts, dance, music, or creative writing. Sometimes people tell me that I am creative or that I have a good imagination. I like being original or independent. I value the arts. I would enjoy a job that lets me express myself or entertains people.
- Likes to do creative activities like art, drama, crafts, dance, music, or creative writing; generally avoids highly ordered or repetitive activities;
- Has good artistic abilities — in creative writing, drama, crafts, music, or art;
- Values the creative arts — like drama, music, art, or the works of creative writers; and
- Sees self as expressive, original, and independent.
Courses for “The Creator”
Social-Social & Human Services – “The Helper”
I like being with people and helping them. People tell me that I am helpful, caring friendly and trustworthy. I would enjoy a job that helps people solve their problems or that makes things better for other people.
- Likes to do things to help people — like, teaching, nursing, or giving first aid, providing information; generally avoids using machines, tools, or animals to achieve a goal;
- Is good at teaching, counseling, nursing, or giving information;
- Values helping people and solving social problems; and
- Sees self as helpful, friendly, and trustworthy.
Courses for “The Helper”
Enterprising-Business – “The Persuader”
I am good at leading people or selling things or ideas. People might describe me as energetic, ambitious or sociable. I am a go-getter. I would enjoy a career in politics, leadership or business.
- Likes to lead and persuade people, and to sell things and ideas; generally avoids activities that require careful observation and scientific, analytical thinking;
- Is good at leading people and selling things or ideas;
- Values success in politics, leadership, or business; and
- Sees self as energetic, ambitious, and sociable.
Courses for “The Persuader”
Conventional-Administration – “The Organizer”
I enjoy arranging things—everything from a party to a research paper. Sometimes people tell me that I am organized and tidy. I would be good at a job where there are clear, specific or structured directions and where I could carry a task from beginning to end.
- Likes to work with numbers, records, or machines in a set, orderly way; generally avoids ambiguous, unstructured activities
- Is good at working with written records and numbers in a systematic, orderly way;
- Values success in business; and
- Sees self as orderly, and good at following a set plan.
Courses for “The Organizer”